(In herbal medicine) a natural substance considered to help the body adapt to stress and to exert a normalizing effect upon bodily processes. A well-known example is ginseng.
- Ginseng is one of several herbs that fall into the category of adaptogens, substances that help the body adapt to different types of stress, be it from exercise, work or keeping your spouse happy.
- Tonic herbs, or adaptogens, help the body resist and recover from stress and can increase energy, vitality and sexual vigor.
- Oils act as natural balancers, or adaptogens, which will instigate reactions in the body so a state of homeostasis is achieved.
- Example sentences
- According to Russian scientist I.I. Brekhman in 1958, adaptogenic herbs like Siberian Ginseng, work to normalize all bodily systems and functions.
- The tonic and adaptogenic activity of Panax ginseng is thought to enhance physical performance, which includes sexual stamina.
- Panax ginseng is well known for its anti-stress and adaptogenic properties.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of adaptogen in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.