- 1A person who is addicted to a particular substance, typically an illegal drug: a former heroin addictMore example sentences
- But do they suffer the same level of discrimination as drug users or addicts?
- A heroin addict who ran a drugs den frequented by dealers at all hours of the day has been jailed for 18 months.
- She lived the typical chaotic lifestyle of a heroin addict and a convicted drug dealer had access to her flat.
- 1.1 [with modifier] • informal An enthusiastic devotee of a specified thing or activity: a must-buy book for the crossword-puzzle addict a self-confessed chocolate addictMore example sentences
- The Elvis impersonator and telly addict is back on the box tomorrow.
- My friend, who is a self-confessed salad addict and doesn't eat meat, opted for the salad nicoise.
- This piece of literature appeals to the tastes of many, whether you're a history buff or sex addict.
early 20th century: from the obsolete verb addict, which was a back-formation from addicted.