- A compound consisting of an adenosine molecule bonded to three phosphate groups, present in all living tissue. The breakage of one phosphate linkage (to form adenosine diphosphate, ADP) provides energy for physiological processes such as muscular contraction.More example sentences
- This reaction creates and maintains a transmembrane pH gradient, which provides energy for adenosine triphosphate synthesis.
- Magnesium also helps in the release of energy by transferring the key phosphate molecule to adenosine triphosphate, the explosive energy source you use when you lift weights.
- Protein machines convert the free energy of adenosine triphosphate binding and hydrolysis into work.
More definitions of adenosine triphosphateDefinition of adenosine triphosphate in:
- The British & World English dictionary