(Especially of body tissue) used for the storage of fat.
- Subcutaneous adipose tissue and skeletal muscle mass, however, were the same in both groups.
- We measured the circumference of the waist and hips, and we analysed subcutaneous abdominal adipose tissue by gas chromatography for fatty acids.
- The weight of the abdominal viscera and adipose tissue pressed on the diaphragm, resulting in decreased chest volume.
- Example sentences
- Grossly, the right ventricular chamber was moderately to markedly dilated, and its free wall showed extensive myocardial adiposity.
- Central abdominal adiposity has a stronger association with CV risk factors than peripheral obesity and is more predictive of coronary events.
- For example, central adiposity is linked with insulin resistance, whereas centrifugal or gluteal adiposity is not.
Mid 18th century: from modern Latin adiposus, from adeps, adip- 'fat'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of adipose in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.