Definition of adipose in English:
(Especially of body tissue) used for the storage of fat.
- Subcutaneous adipose tissue and skeletal muscle mass, however, were the same in both groups.
- We measured the circumference of the waist and hips, and we analysed subcutaneous abdominal adipose tissue by gas chromatography for fatty acids.
- The weight of the abdominal viscera and adipose tissue pressed on the diaphragm, resulting in decreased chest volume.
mid 18th century: from modern Latin adiposus, from adeps, adip- 'fat'.
- Example sentences
- Grossly, the right ventricular chamber was moderately to markedly dilated, and its free wall showed extensive myocardial adiposity.
- Central abdominal adiposity has a stronger association with CV risk factors than peripheral obesity and is more predictive of coronary events.
- For example, central adiposity is linked with insulin resistance, whereas centrifugal or gluteal adiposity is not.
Definition of adipose in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan