- A horizontal passage leading into a mine for the purposes of access or drainage.More example sentences
- The mine's three adits lie in the Shinarump conglomerate member of the Triassic Chinle Formation.
- The Jomac mine's three adits lie within the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area boundary.
- The mule train would have entered the mine through an adit.
early 17th century: from Latin aditus 'approach, entrance', from adit- 'approached', from the verb adire, from ad- 'toward' + ire 'go'.
More definitions of aditDefinition of adit in:
- The British & World English dictionary