Definition of admire in English:
1Regard (an object, quality, or person) with respect or warm approval: I admire your courage (as adjective admiring) she couldn’t help but notice his admiring glance
More example sentences
- It is good for men to respect and admire them, without expecting favours or punishments from them.
- He quite clearly loves Europe, respecting its diversity but admiring its ambitious attempt to unify.
- He was a good father, grandfather and friend and he was highly respected and admired by many.
1.1Look at with pleasure: we were just admiring your garden
More example sentences
- The airborne action is less fluid than the rest, but at least you get to admire the impressive scenery.
- It was hot when I woke but not so much that I couldn't enjoy a brief stroll around the garden, admiring the flowers in the sunshine.
- They are now looking forward to watching the garden blossom and admiring the fruits of their hard work.
late 16th century: from Latin admirari, from ad- 'at' + mirari 'wonder'.
- Example sentences
- ‘She had a talent for recognizing her students' strengths and channelling their energy,’ Gow says admiringly.
- We looked, admiringly, at our neighbour's new Ford.
- Most of the pieces spoke admiringly of his ability to merchandise odd items, and I suppose that's worthy of a salute.
Words that rhyme with admireacquire, afire, applier, aspire, attire, ayah, backfire, barbwire, bemire, briar, buyer, byre, choir, conspire, crier, cryer, defier, denier, desire, dire, drier, dryer, dyer, enquire, entire, esquire, expire, fire, flyer, friar, fryer, Gaia, gyre, hellfire, hire, hiya, ire, Isaiah, jambalaya, Jeremiah, Josiah, Kintyre, latria, liar, lyre, Maia, Maya, Mayer, messiah, mire, misfire, Nehemiah, Obadiah, papaya, pariah, peripeteia, perspire, playa, Praia, prior, pyre, quire, replier, scryer, shire, shyer, sire, skyer, Sophia, spire, squire, supplier, Surabaya, suspire, tier, tire, transpire, trier, tumble-dryer, tyre, Uriah, via, wire, Zechariah, Zedekiah, Zephaniah
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan