Definition of adobe in English:
1A kind of clay used as a building material, typically in the form of sun-dried bricks: [as modifier]: adobe houses
More example sentences
- Most notably, the Pueblo Indians in the Southwest used adobe masonry to moderate weather extremes and keep their homes comfortable.
- Wild West history abounds in Mesilla, where adobe buildings dating to the 1800s are still in use as shops and galleries.
- Tombstone, an easy day trip from Tucson, does however offer one vision of Arizona's pioneer days: clapboard and adobe buildings, and, of course, re-enacted gunfights.
1.1A brick formed from adobe.
- By the time we started laying the adobe, it was mid-May and over 100 degrees every day.
- Prehistoric tribes experimented with the first sun-dried bricks or adobe, mixing mud with straw into manageable building blocks.
- When paint can get into the adobe, then it hardens in there, and it makes it cling better than anything.
1.2US A building constructed from adobe clay or bricks.
- Eastern senators extolled the peace while Senor Villa descended on the tents & adobes of the 13th Cavalry, Columbus, New Mexico
- Stroll the main drag, Third Street, past restaurants and shops selling gifts and antiques, all housed in old adobes and low, false-fronted wood buildings.
- The market is strong, with recently built adobes starting at around $180,000.