- A word or phrase that modifies or qualifies an adjective, verb, or other adverb or a word group, expressing a relation of place, time, circumstance, manner, cause, degree, etc. (e.g., gently, quite, then, there).More example sentences
- The real challenges always came with the sophisticated adjectives, the adverbs, and the intransitive verbs.
- I have been over those 406 words and carefully identified the adjectives and adverbs.
- At their best, adverbs spice up a verb or adjective.
late Middle English: from Latin adverbium, from ad- 'to' (expressing addition) + verbum 'word, verb'.
More definitions of adverbDefinition of adverb in:
- The British & World English dictionary