- Amid all the gloom and doom in the advertising industry giant adverts seem to be bucking the trend.
- Have you ever noticed how the adverts at London tube stations vary depending on where you are?
- If the news reports failed to tell you it was Christmas, the adverts were quick to plug that gap.
Mid 19th century: abbreviation.
Words that rhyme with advertalert, animadvert, assert, avert, Bert, blurt, Burt, cert, chert, concert, controvert, convert, curt, desert, dessert, dirt, divert, exert, flirt, girt, hurt, inert, insert, introvert, Kurt, malapert, overt, pert, quirt, shirt, skirt, spirt, spurt, squirt, Sturt, subvert, vert, wort, yurt
verb[no object] (advert to) formal
Refer to in speaking or writing: he had failed to advert to the consequences that his conduct was having
More example sentences
- The gloss I just referred to is adverted to in paragraph 34 of our written submissions.
- Now, your Honours, in relation to the fourth of those propositions - the first one I have adverted to already.
- It is a matter which your Honours have already seen was adverted to by his Honour in the second sentence.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan