- A microorganism that grows in the presence of air or requires oxygen for growth.More example sentences
- These bacteria are all facultative aerobes, meaning that they are oxygen tolerant.
- Antibiotics must cover both aerobes and anaerobes.
- Foot infections in diabetic patients are commonly polymicrobial and may involve aerobes and anaerobes.
late 19th century: coined in French from Greek aēr 'air' + bios 'life'.
More definitions of aerobeDefinition of aerobe in:
- The British & World English dictionary