A black American.
- Even as a teenager, she had felt drawn to work with African Americans and Native Americans.
- Yet it still lagged behind the literature of other American minorities, especially African Americans.
- The people who taught me the most about what it means to be American are African Americans.
Relating to black Americans.
- He will join a number of African-American men who are making a real mark on American culture.
- The man most Americans say ought to be their nation's first African-American leader is today closer than ever to the seat of power.
- I would ask you the same question with regard to the African-American population.
See black (usage).
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: Af·ri·can A·mer·i·can
Definition of African American in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.