- An auxiliary burner fitted to the exhaust system of a turbojet engine to increase thrust.More example sentences
- The air bypassed the engine compressor and turbine, and using the afterburner as a ram-jet combustion chamber, the available thrust is greatly increased above a Mach number of 2.0
- After 20 seconds of afterburner use, the afterburner failed and the nozzle fully closed due to oil loss.
- Of course, there's only one way you can see if the flame is clear blue - I stood behind the engine and looked up the exhaust with the engine at full power and the afterburner lit.
More definitions of afterburnerDefinition of afterburner in:
- The British & World English dictionary