Definition of afternoon in English:
1The time from noon or lunchtime to evening: I telephoned this afternoon I’ll be back at three in the afternoon she worked on Tuesday afternoons [as modifier]: the afternoon sunshine
More example sentences
- This afternoon we have bought a new sofa, a dining table and six chairs and a sideboard!
- Most volunteers normally spend a couple of mornings, afternoons or evenings on duty each week.
- We have a group of nurses who take it in turn weekday mornings and afternoons, also one evening a week so I can go out.
1.1The time from noon to evening on a particular day, characterized by a specified type of activity or particular weather conditions: it was an afternoon of drama and tension
More example sentences
- Nice cool weather in the afternoons in summer, a good spot to sit and have a read.
- Those who took part in the afternoon's activities got to take their plate and mug home with them as a souvenir.
- It will be the highlight of an afternoon of fun and activity in the town centre.
adverb(afternoons) informal Back to top
In the afternoon; every afternoon.
- The church will be open in the afternoons and on Sunday afternoon the church cafe will be serving refreshments.
- She works afternoons so she can be home with our son before school and I can be there when he gets home.
- She works afternoons after school then takes her homework to moms office.
exclamationinformal Back to top
Words that rhyme with afternoonattune, autoimmune, baboon, balloon, bassoon, bestrewn, boon, Boone, bridoon, buffoon, Cameroon, Cancún, cardoon, cartoon, Changchun, cocoon, commune, croon, doubloon, dragoon, dune, festoon, galloon, goon, harpoon, hoon, immune, importune, impugn, Irgun, jejune, June, Kowloon, lagoon, lampoon, loon, macaroon, maroon, monsoon, moon, Muldoon, noon, oppugn, picayune, platoon, poltroon, pontoon, poon, prune, puccoon, raccoon, Rangoon, ratoon, rigadoon, rune, saloon, Saskatoon, Sassoon, Scone, soon, spittoon, spoon, swoon, Troon, tune, tycoon, typhoon, Walloon
Definition of afternoon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan