The time from noon or lunchtime to evening: I telephoned this afternoon I’ll be back at three in the afternoon she worked on Tuesday afternoons [as modifier]: the afternoon sunshine
More example sentences
- This afternoon we have bought a new sofa, a dining table and six chairs and a sideboard!
- Most volunteers normally spend a couple of mornings, afternoons or evenings on duty each week.
- We have a group of nurses who take it in turn weekday mornings and afternoons, also one evening a week so I can go out.
In the afternoon; every afternoon.
- The church will be open in the afternoons and on Sunday afternoon the church cafe will be serving refreshments.
- She works afternoons so she can be home with our son before school and I can be there when he gets home.
- She works afternoons after school then takes her homework to moms office.
Words that rhyme with afternoonattune, autoimmune, baboon, balloon, bassoon, bestrewn, boon, Boone, bridoon, buffoon, Cameroon, Cancún, cardoon, cartoon, Changchun, cocoon, commune, croon, doubloon, dragoon, dune, festoon, galloon, goon, harpoon, hoon, immune, importune, impugn, Irgun, jejune, June, Kowloon, lagoon, lampoon, loon, macaroon, maroon, monsoon, moon, Muldoon, noon, oppugn, picayune, platoon, poltroon, pontoon, poon, prune, puccoon, raccoon, Rangoon, ratoon, rigadoon, rune, saloon, Saskatoon, Sassoon, Scone, soon, spittoon, spoon, swoon, Troon, tune, tycoon, typhoon, Walloon
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of afternoon in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.