- Askew; awry.More example sentences
- The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley.
- For once, the best-laid economic plans of the meticulous Chancellor of the Exchequer went agley.
- A delightful event, but things gang aft agley when a certain mayor cracks wise about a certain nation's reputation for thriftiness and predilection for men in ‘skirts.’
late 18th century: from a-2 'on' + Scots gley 'squint', of unknown origin.
More definitions of agleyDefinition of agley in:
- The British & World English dictionary