Definition of ailanthus in English:
- Genus Ailanthus, family Simaroubaceae: several species, in particular the tree of heaven
- He'd describe his love for this tree that grew all over North Philadelphia, the ailanthus - something I'd always considered a big weed.
- Barberry, knotweed, ailanthus, and the brilliant Euonymus known as burning bush are just some of the horticultural immigrants that continue to out-compete many of our indigenous species.
- There won't even be an ailanthus tree and a broken fountain in the back yard.
Modern Latin, from French ailante, from Amboinese ailanto, literally 'tree of heaven' (the ending being influenced by names ending with -anthus, from Greek anthos 'flower').
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.