Definition of ailurophobia in English:
Extreme or irrational fear of cats.
- Like all fears and phobias, ailurophobia is created by the unconscious mind as a protective mechanism.
- Cats have been endowed with a magical ability to detect the overweening ambitions of dictators, many of whom have consequently been accused of ailurophobia on the flimsiest evidence.
- I have never heard of ailurophobia.
- Example sentences
- The bad news for ailurophobes is that cats seem to be drawn to people who don't like them.
- He always enjoyed visiting with Regent, but admitted, just recently, that he's also an ailurophobe.
- Julius Caesar, Hitler and Mussolini were said to be ailurophobes.
Pronunciation: /īˈlo͝orəˌfōb/ /āˈlo͝or-/noun
Definition of ailurophobia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.