Definition of ain't in English:
- In ‘The Kid,’ the poet unveils the hidden core beneath a comfortable mask, telling about how the subject talks candidly about his father ‘sometimes when we ain't talking about baseball.’
- We aint tryin to be something were not.
- We ain't running from nothing. We ain't worried about nothing.
- Baseball's origins ain't found till they're found.
- He ain't won a fight in years.
- Well, he's a man who loves being on the hills and what he ain't climbed ain't worth climbing.
The use of ain’t was widespread in the 18th century and is still perfectly normal in many dialects and informal contexts in both North America and Britain. Today, however, it does not form part of standard English and should not be used in formal contexts.
Words that rhyme with ain'tacquaint, attaint, complaint, constraint, distraint, faint, feint, paint, plaint, quaint, restraint, saint, taint
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.