- A pair of quotation marks gestured by a speaker’s fingers in the air, to indicate that what is being said is ironic or mocking, or is not a turn of phrase the speaker would typically employ.More example sentences
- They do straight-up new wave, no air quotes or knowing smirks attached.
- Mischa even used elaborate air quotes with her fingers.
- Matt glares back at me, angered by both my comment and the air quotes I added around the word.
More definitions of air quotesDefinition of air quotes in:
- The British & World English dictionary