- A structure with curved surfaces designed to give the most favorable ratio of lift to drag in flight, used as the basic form of the wings, fins, and horizontal stabilizer of most aircraft.More example sentences
- Key areas include structural components, exhaust assemblies, engine fabrications and panels, combustion components, casings, rings and discs, machined airfoils, turbine airfoils and fan blades.
- The top airfoil was mounted well aft of the bottom wing and continued flying after the lower wing had stalled, making the airplane effectively ‘stallproof.’
- Snow may look nasty to fly in, and it does reduce visibility, but it's generally not much of a problem in flight, as it rarely adheres to aircraft surfaces enough to distort an airfoil.
More definitions of airfoilDefinition of airfoil in:
- The British & World English dictionary