- 1Stuffy; not ventilated: a dusty, airless basementMore example sentences
- After a cold dinner of egg sandwiches by candlelight we turned in early to our stuffy, airless rooms at 9.30 pm, exhausted.
- By contrast the house was stuffy and airless and I repaired to my garden chair, Dolly and Harry following on behind.
- I wish this office wasn't so stuffy and airless.
- 1.1Without wind or breeze; still: a hot, airless nightMore example sentences
- To his surprise, it started to become humid and airless.
- Our three invalids, though, in spite of languishing in the shade and in one of the few airless parts of the front garden, produce plenty of blooms that are simply too beautiful to destroy.
- I sat at home and watched him give evidence to the foreign affairs select committee on an airless summer's day in July 2003.
- More example sentences
- The metal construction of the cells and the lack of windows exacerbates their airlessness in a tropical heat which is relentless, all year round.
- If the airlessness of the venue on a warm evening hadn't already taken my breath away, the concentrated power of this production certainly would have.
- Renovating your home makes the difference between the airlessness of your apartment and an airy dwelling.