Definition of aitch in English:
The name of the letter H.
- A diffident young man swung a boot and rather apologetically struck an egg-shaped ball through a large wooden aitch - and by doing so, changed the nature of England sport.
- All the dictionaries in my house agree that aitch is correct.
- Aitch is the most interesting name of a letter.
mid 16th century: from Old French ache.
drop one's aitches
- Fail to pronounce the letter h at the beginning of words, a common feature of dialect speech.Example sentences
- Are we the only ones who drop our aitches and do we really say ‘were’ instead of ` was’.
- If a policeman writes in why does he have to drop his aitches and sound gruff and arrogant?
- When the soldier speaks he drops his aitches and several other letters.
Definition of aitch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia