Definition of aitch in English:
The name of the letter H.
- A diffident young man swung a boot and rather apologetically struck an egg-shaped ball through a large wooden aitch - and by doing so, changed the nature of England sport.
- All the dictionaries in my house agree that aitch is correct.
- Aitch is the most interesting name of a letter.
- 1drop one's aitches
- Fail to pronounce the letter h at the beginning of words, a common feature of dialect speech.Example sentences
- Are we the only ones who drop our aitches and do we really say ‘were’ instead of ` was’.
- If a policeman writes in why does he have to drop his aitches and sound gruff and arrogant?
- When the soldier speaks he drops his aitches and several other letters.
Mid 16th century: from Old French ache.
Definition of aitch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.