Definition of akee in English:
1A tropical tree that is cultivated for its fruit. Native to West Africa, it has been introduced into the West Indies and elsewhere.
- Blighia sapida, family Sapindaceae
- Using flashlights to look outside, it seems as if part of the ackee tree has fallen down.
- Fond d' Or is a lush green wooded area with coconut trees, mangrove wetlands, wild sea grapes and ackee, known locally as zecak.
1.1The fruit of the akee, widely eaten as a vegetable, but which can be poisonous unless cooked.
- A Sunday brunch/feast of sausage & beans, ackee & saltfish and garlic crabs was put on and they had me licking my fingers and dying for more.
- The national dish in Jamaica is ackee and saltfish, but curried goat and rice, and fried fish and barnrny (a flat, baked cassava bread) are just as popular and delicious.
- You can also get your saltfish with ackee, a combo referred to as Jamaica's national dish.
late 18th century: from Kru ākee.
Definition of akee in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India