An amino acid that is a constituent of most proteins.
- Alternative name: 2-aminopropanoic acid; chemical formula: CH3CH(NH2)COOH. β-alanine, an isomer of this, is 3-aminopropanoic acid, (NH2)CH2CH2COOH
More example sentences
- Other examples of amino acids are alanine, leucine, cysteine, arginine, and tryptophan.
- All of these silks are composed of protein chains in which the amino acids glycine, alanine, and serine dominate.
- Also, a combination of the amino acids glycine, alanine and glutamic acid can relieve symptoms of prostatitis.
Definition of alanine in:
- The British & World English dictionary