1Of or relating to a wing or wings.
- We took blood from the alar vein in the wing by inserting a needle into the vein and drawing blood into a vacutainer containing the anticoagulant lithium heparin.
- On capture, a 250-l sample of whole blood was obtained from the alar wing vein of each individual.
- We captured undisturbed birds and collected the initial baseline blood samples by puncturing the alar vein and collecting blood in heparinized microhematocrit 100-l tubes.
1.1 Anatomy Winglike or wing-shaped.
- As the pannus erodes the bone, it will also degenerate the alar check ligaments which stabilize C1.
- It should be understood that the factors leading to the nasal deformity have already produced changes in the lower lateral cartilage, nostril, columella, septum, alar base, and so on.
- This allows the cartilages of the developing medial crura to be posteriorly positioned above the bone of the premaxilla, contributing to the development of a short columella and very little alar cartilage projection.
1.2 Botany another term for axillary.
- The alar groups consist of few or often numerous quadrate to longly rectangular cells. The upper portion of the axillary hairs mostly consists of 1-2 cells.
- Leaf with alternate large and small teeth; alar cells distinctly subquadrate.
- Plants very small, often 1-2 mm or less than 5 mm high; autoicous, perichaetial buds small and axillary; alar cells not differentiated.
Mid 19th century: from Latin alaris, from ala 'wing'.
Trademark for daminozide.
- Acsh, which had assets of $1.8 million in 1998, made its first headlines by refuting the dangers of the potentially carcinogenic growth hormone Alar, which was widely sprayed on apples to keep them on the tree longer.
- Stossel also warped reality to make concerns over the pesticide Alar, used by apple growers to protect the appearance of fruit, sound like a hoax.
- Sure, kids should eat lots of fruits and veggies, but 10 years after Alar, apples are still loaded with pesticides.
Words that rhyme with Alarverglas • Mylar • foulard
Definition of alar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan