- Egg white, or the protein contained in it.More example sentences
- The suite of maternal proteins in the crude albumen creates complex banding patterns, with high probability of differences between females.
- The negative charge repels plasma proteins, including albumen, so they are not filtered but remain in the blood.
- Protein was determined by the method of Bradford using bovine serum albumen as the standard protein.
late 16th century: from Latin, 'egg white', from albus 'white'.
The words albumen and albumin have the same origin but are not identical in meaning. Albumen refers specifically to egg white or the protein found in egg white. Albumin, on the other hand, refers to the more general category of protein that is soluble in water and that is coagulated on heating, of which albumen is just one type.
More definitions of albumenDefinition of albumen in:
- The British & World English dictionary