- A bird of the auk family (Alcidae); an auk or puffin.More example sentences
- Usually you can expect to see great numbers of pelagic birds - gannets, shearwaters, jaegers, storm-petrels, alcids - that live mainly at sea.
- Closely related to the Tufted Puffin, the Rhinoceros Auklet is a large alcid with a wedge-shaped head.
- One would imagine this place to be a paradise of alcids of all types, guillemots, dovekies, puffins, razorbills, murres, and murrelets all splashing around in their black and white finery.
late 19th century: modern Latin Alcidae, from Alca (genus name), based on Old Norse álka 'razorbill'; compare with auk.
More definitions of alcidDefinition of alcid in:
- The British & World English dictionary