(also alder tree)
Definition of alder in English:
A widely distributed tree of the birch family that has toothed leaves and bears male catkins and woody female cones.
- Genus Alnus, family Betulaceae: many species, including the European (or black) alder (A. glutinosa), common in damp ground and on riverbanks
- The train passes mature hardwood maple, beech, yellow birch, hickory and American linden trees, and softwood alders and willows weeping over a calm pond.
- Trees which are especially suited for erosion control include varieties of birch, cedar, alder, fir, pine and redwood.
- In Prussia the coal of the alder, limetree, poplar, elder, willow, hemp, and hazel is used for powder.
Old English alor, aler, of Germanic origin; related to German Erle; forms spelled with d are recorded from the 14th century.
Words that rhyme with alderBalder, Calder
Definition of alder in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.