(also alder fly)
Definition of alderfly in English:
noun (plural alderflies)
A brownish flylike insect that lives near water and has predatory aquatic larvae.
- Family Sialidae, order Neuroptera: several genera
- Larvae of alderflies differ from hellgrammites in that they lack the two hooks at the end of the abdomen.
- This is a very small order of Australian insects commonly known as alderflies and dobsonflies.
- The alderfly larvae, known to all and coveted by fish and anglers alike, is the hellgrammite.
Definition of alderfly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.