adverb & adjective[predic.]
- 1On the side of a ship that is sheltered from the wind.More example sentences
- Winds were gusty which is why I stopped on the alee side of this low tide peninsula.
- 1.1(Of the helm) moved around to leeward in order to tack a vessel or to bring its bows up into the wind.More example sentences
- He barked the traditional, ‘Ready about,’ threw the helm over, and then added, ‘Hard alee!’
- ‘Ready,’ returned Howard, and the moment he heard the response of ‘Hard alee,’ he let go the mainsheet - then reached over and released the halyard for the mainsail - which lowered the boom.
- If you intend to have crew with you, don't forget to prepare them by saying: "Ready about" and "Helms alee."
More definitions of aleeDefinition of alee in:
- The British & World English dictionary