- A leguminous plant with cloverlike leaves and bluish flowers. Native to southwestern Asia, it is widely grown for fodder. Also called lucerne.
More example sentences
- Medicago sativa, family Leguminosae
- Here's an excuse to let a section of lawn grow tall and go to hay, or plant some of it to alfalfa, red clover or oats.
- Red clover grows better than alfalfa in the acidic soils that are common in the Midwest.
- He's also seeded pastures with legumes like alfalfa and red and white clovers.
mid 19th century: from Spanish, from Arabic al-faṣfaṣa, a green fodder.
More definitions of alfalfaDefinition of alfalfa in:
- The British & World English dictionary