Definition of algebraic in English:
1Relating to or involving algebra.
- The papers look at algebraic curves, the Riemann Roch theorem and algebraic polynomials.
- Betti extended and gave proofs relating to the algebraic concepts of Galois theory.
- Fermat preferred the algebraic techniques that he used to such devastating effect in number theory.
1.1(Of a mathematical expression or equation) in which a finite number of symbols is combined using only the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation with constant rational exponents. Compare with transcendental.
- The OR gates and AND gates you can read about in books that describe how computers work correspond directly to Boole's algebraic operations of addition and multiplication.
- It has proved to be the computational method of choice for symbolic manipulation in algebraic geometry, differential equations, and combinatorics.
- Paniker not only played upon the abstraction of the words and scripts but also incorporated mathematical formulae, algebraic equations and diagrams of horoscopes.
- Example sentences
- ‘We may say most aptly that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard loom weaves flowers and leaves’ - Lovelace describing the Analytical Engine in the ‘Notes’.
- It was unfortunate for him that already in the 1920's the fashion in algebraical research had drastically changed, and his original work on invariants did not receive the recognition which it would have found two decades earlier.
- Sumner was informed that a learned mathematician had discovered an algebraical demonstration of the existence of God and would present it before the audience.
- Example sentences
- The first person known to have solved cubic equations algebraically was del Ferro but he told nobody of his achievement.
- Lagrange's main object was to find out why cubic and quartic equations could be solved algebraically.
- Some rate Severi's discovery of a base of algebraically independent curves on any surface as his most important contribution.
Definition of algebraic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan