Definition of algorithm in English:
- Another arithmetical result presented by Brahmagupta is his algorithm for computing square roots.
- This first step is here reduced to a simple algorithm suitable for computer use.
- Mathematicians can use similar algorithms to generate fractals and other forms.
- Example sentences
- The overall style of Gordan's mathematical work was algorithmic.
- Joseph Culberson has a nice perspective on such theorems from an algorithmic point of view, and attempts to frame them in the context of complexity theory.
- This factor is the primary justification for replacing the standard algorithmic procedure with an alternative one.
- Example sentences
- And if there can be no proper theory, then the bit string is called algorithmically random or irreducible.
- It is possible to formulate this process algorithmically using graphs and therefore to automate the method.
- Because the computer can generate material algorithmically, it can respond to the user's choices in real-time.
Late 17th century: variant (influenced by Greek arithmos 'number') of Middle English algorism, via Old French from medieval Latin algorismus. The Arabic source, al-Ḵwārizmī 'the man of Ḵwārizm' (now Khiva), was a name given to the 9th-century mathematician Abū Ja῾far Muhammad ibn Mūsa.
Algorithm initially meant the Arabic or decimal notation of numbers; it is a variant, influenced by Greek arithmos ‘number’, of Middle English algorism which came via Old French from medieval Latin algorismus. The Arabic source, al-kwārizmī ‘the man of Kwārizm’ (now Khiva), was an alternative name for the 9th-century mathematician Abū Ja'far Muhammad ibn Mūsa, author of widely translated works on algebra and arithmetic.
Words that rhyme with algorithmlogarithm • sempervivum
Definition of algorithm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.