Relating to or denoting organic compounds that combine cyclic structure with aliphatic properties, e.g., cyclohexane and other saturated cyclic hydrocarbons. Compare with aromatic.
- Its solubility is very high in polar organic solvents as well as in benzene but it is only sparingly soluble in aliphatic or alicyclic organic solvents like hexane and cyclohexane.
- Among the 4800 constituents of tobacco smoke, researchers have identified more than 100 alkanes, 150 alkenes and 55 alicyclic hydrocarbons.
- The alicyclic compounds have one or more rings.
An alicyclic compound.
- The characteristic that distinguishes benzene from the aliphatics and alicyclics, and that defines the aromatics, is the arrangement of electrons in the ring.
- They are immiscible with many organic solvents, particularly linear hydrocarbons and alicyclics like cyclopentane.
- The further separation yielded 12 fractions containing aliphatic and alicyclic, 24 containing aromatic and 1 containing nitrogen, sulphur and oxygen containing compounds (NSO fraction).
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of alicyclic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.