Definition of alienate in English:
1Cause (someone) to feel isolated or estranged: an urban environment that would alienate its inhabitants (as adjective alienated) an alienated angst-ridden 22-year-old
More example sentences
- What we have are two things going on: One, a society in which our children are alienated and isolated.
- No matter how much you talk about global effects or global capitalism, some people are very alienated and isolated in this world.
- Both characters feel alienated by their environment, which leads them to plough a gentle furrow of despair.
1.1Cause (someone) to become unsympathetic or hostile: the association does not wish to alienate its members
More example sentences
- The experience will drive him away from his deaf parents and alienate him from an unsympathetic hearing world
- Orchin's difficulty was that to make the association more attractive to members he risked alienating the patrons who subsidized its activities.
- I choose to be loyal to my values and to alienate my team members.
2 Law Transfer ownership of (property rights) to another person or group.
- Consequently, unless the plaintiff alienated his ownership, he has been the owner of the case since it came into being.
- Ever since the 1290 statute it has been a principle of the law that generally an estate owner should have a free and unfettered power to alienate his property.
- The ultimate purpose of the acquisitions is to enable the Territory to validly alienate Crown land in the manner that is stated in the notices of proposed acquisition.
alienate someone's affections
- Law Induce someone to transfer their affection from a person (such as a spouse) with legal rights or claims on them.Example sentences
- The waif seemed eager to get inside, but I didn't want to alienate her affections if she had a home.
- Austerity and sternness will alienate his affections, and severe words will sting him to the quick.
- The young man, in his efforts to extricate the young woman from her problems, manages to alienate her affections while arousing the enmity of her powerful protector.
Words that rhyme with alienatelunate • carbonate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.