Definition of aliphatic in English:
Relating to or denoting organic compounds in which carbon atoms form open chains (as in the alkanes), not aromatic rings. Compare with alicyclic.
- For example, alkyl groups can be introduced into aliphatic hydrocarbons or aromatic hydrocarbons by alkylation reactions.
- These included formaldehyde, several other aldehydes, ketones, aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons, glycol ethers, organic acids, and alcohols.
- Aromatic and aliphatic polyurethanes share the following properties that make them suitable for use in medical devices.
noun(usually aliphatics) Back to top
An aliphatic compound.
- The characteristic that distinguishes benzene from the aliphatics and alicyclics, and that defines the aromatics, is the arrangement of electrons in the ring.
- Pesticide organochlorines are diphenyl aliphatics previously used to control insect vector infections.
- Aliphatics are our company's range of hydrocarbon fluids including specialty brands.
Definition of aliphatic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan