Definition of aliterate in English:
Unwilling to read, although able to do so.
- That's a problem because the point of McGruder's style of pop-cultural subversion is to get the revolutionary message into the minds of the unthinking, aliterate media consumer.
- But, from whichever direction it is approached, the same gulf lies between literate and aliterate minds.
- Aliterate children can read, but they tend to avoid the activity.
nounBack to top
An aliterate person.
- Lots of aliterates, according to Trelease, say they just don't have time to read anymore.
- Our literacy rate falls year by year, and even many who can read do not read, the so-called aliterates.
- Through a national program called The Big Read, the NEA is committing resources to motivate aliterates to read again.
- Example sentences
- At a time when the nation is plagued more by aliteracy than literacy - that is, an apathy to reading rather than the inability - we continue to advocate for reading as both an essential part of our culture, and an endangered one.
- Analyze current literacy and aliteracy culture trends affecting all readers in K - 12 content classrooms.
- It provides a reference for educators to determine causes of aliteracy and gives guidelines to reach students.
Definition of aliterate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan