- Any of the elements lithium, sodium, potassium, rubidium, cesium, and francium, occupying Group IA (1) of the periodic table. They are very reactive, electropositive, monovalent metals forming strongly alkaline hydroxides.More example sentences
- He isolated potassium, another well known alkali metal, from potassium hydroxide in the same year.
- Sodium is an alkali metal and tends to lose an electron to form the positive sodium ion (Na +).
- You need an alkali metal, which has one electron in the outer shell, to make the process work.
More definitions of alkali metalDefinition of alkali metal in:
- The British & World English dictionary