Definition of alkaline in English:
Having the properties of an alkali, or containing alkali; having a pH greater than 7. Often contrasted with acid or acidic; compare with basic.
- Liquid bleach used in the laundry is an alkaline solution of hypochlorite ion.
- The wood chips are placed in the digester and are cooked in a highly corrosive alkaline solution.
- The precipitate is then treated with acetic acid and an alkaline material.
- Example sentences
- Loss of carbon dioxide increases alkalinity and causes a slight diminution in the protein content of the egg.
- Precipitating water softeners increase alkalinity of the cleaning solution and this may damage skin and other materials being cleaned.
- Its mild alkalinity works to turn up fatty acids contained in dirt and grease into a form of soap that can be dissolved in water and rinsed easily.
Words that rhyme with alkalineunderline • opaline
Definition of alkaline in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.