noun[as modifier] Chemistry
- Of or denoting a hydrocarbon radical derived from an alkane by removal of a hydrogen atom.More example sentences
- The ethyl group has a greater molecular weight than the smallest alkyl radical which is the methyl group.
- As the size of the alkyl group increases, i.e. as the number of carbon atoms increases, the water solubility decreases.
- Subsequently, alkyl hydroperoxides may initiate radical chain reactions and cause membrane destruction.
late 19th century: German, from Alkohol 'alcohol' + -yl.
More definitions of alkylDefinition of alkyl in:
- The British & World English dictionary