Definition of alkylate in English:
verb[with object] (usually as adjective alkylating or alkylated) Chemistry
Introduce an alkyl radical into (a compound): alkylating agents
More example sentences
- Chemical mutagens are classified as alkylating agents, cross-linking agents, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).
- Two men discovered that in the presence of Lewis acids (such as aluminum chloride or ferric chloride), alkyl halides will alkylate benzenes.
- The major categories are alkylating agents, antimetabolites, plant alkaloids, anti-tumor antibiotics, and steroid hormones.
- Example sentences
- Important synthetic methodology also exists for the alkylation of enolate ions.
- These reactions occur via acylation or alkylation and are often rapid, forming stable primary amide or secondary amine bonds.
- Likewise the mustard nitrogen of chlorambucil should not be covalently joined to antibody, since it must be free to generate the toxic aziridinium ion responsible for DNA alkylation.
Definition of alkylate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan