Definition of allamanda in English:
Any of a number of tropical shrubs or climbers that bear showy flowers, typically of yellow or purple.
- Species in several families, in particular members of the genus Allamanda, family Apocynaceae, including the South American yellow allamanda (A. cathartica), which is cultivated as an ornamental
- She has divided her own garden into ‘rooms’ separated by borders of shrubs - mussaenda with pink and red blooms, allamandas in a whole range of colours and the white balls of spirea, or bridal wreath - all in the shade of huge trees.
- Plumerias are native to tropical America and related to mandevillas, allamandas and oleanders.
- Yellow allamanda has a white milky sap in all parts, which oozes out as soon as it is broken.
modern Latin, from the name of Jean-Nicholas-Sébastien Allamand (1713–87), Swiss naturalist.
Definition of allamanda in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan