- A chemical produced by a living organism, exerting a detrimental physiological effect on the individuals of another species when released into the environment.More example sentences
- And most important, we need to be sure that allelochemicals don't harm non-target organisms, including humans.
- Various plant species are known to suppress other species by the production of allelochemicals from leaves, flowers, seeds, stems, and roots of living or decomposing plant materials.
- These allelochemicals are concentrated in the photosynthetic layer of the stem which is located directly under the skin of the cactus.
1970s: from Greek allēl- 'one another' + chemical.
More definitions of allelochemicalDefinition of allelochemical in:
- The British & World English dictionary