- Far from alleviating the problem, the farming of carnivorous fish, such as salmon, adds to the pressure on wild fish populations.
- All monies raised will go towards alleviating the suffering of survivors.
- The decriminalisation of abortion would assist in alleviating this problem.
- Example sentences
- The Lyonnaise poutine is one of the best hangover alleviators I've ever tried: thick, rough-cut fries, a very pungent peppercorn sauce, curds of squeaky-fresh cheese, fried ground beef and thinly sliced onions.
- Drug use becomes more attractive as an alleviator of stress and strain and as a means of escape from a harsh reality.
- Also not a brand-new offering, this company offers herbal alternatives in the form of sunblock, bug repellent, muscle pain alleviator, and poison oak and ivy soap.
Late Middle English: from late Latin alleviat- 'lightened', from the verb alleviare, from Latin allevare, from ad- 'to' + levare 'raise', influenced by levis 'light'.
elevate from Late Middle English:
The word elevate is from Latin elevare ‘to raise’, based on levis ‘light’, found also in alleviate (Late Middle English) ‘lighten’, levity (mid 16th century), relieve (Middle English), and the leaven (Middle English) used in bread-making to lighten the loaf.
Words that rhyme with alleviateabbreviate, deviate
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.