Definition of allicin in English:
A pungent oily liquid with antibacterial properties, present in garlic.
- Chemical formula: (C3H5S)2O
- A small amount of allicin is present in fresh garlic, but enzymes in the garlic produce more when the cloves are cut or crushed and exposed to water.
- Since allicin also gives garlic its pungent aroma, by releasing it you are also ensuring that that whoever eats it will have that smell to reckon with.
- While the exact role of garlic in the preventive process is undetermined, it is believed that when garlic is crushed it forms allicin, which gives garlic its smell.
Definition of allicin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan