Definition of alligator in English:
1A large semiaquatic reptile similar to a crocodile but with a broader and shorter head, native to the Americas and China.
- Genus Alligator, family Alligatoridae, order Crocodylia: the American alligator (A. mississippiensis) and the Chinese alligator (A. sinensis)
- The zoo here is now playing host to a pair each of seamy crocodiles, alligators and caimans, giving the city dwellers a glimpse of some rare species.
- Caiman belong to the group known as crocodilians, which also includes alligators and crocodiles.
- Stunned parkgoers have even spotted the pythons in epic battles with native alligators.
1.1The skin of the alligator or material resembling it.
- George can provide exotic skins too, like alligator, lizard, ostrich and even stingray.
- In the dim light could be seen a black cowboy hat, a black trench coat, a pair of dirty blue jeans with alligator skin boots and a generous helping of ammo belts draped over his chest.
- He wore dark blue pants and alligator skin boots, and a white shirt that had long puffy sleeves and purple embroidery on the cuffs.
Definition of alligator in:
- British & World English dictionary