Definition of allium in English:
noun (plural alliums)
A bulbous plant of a genus that includes the onion and its relatives (e.g., garlic, leek, and chives).
- Genus Allium, family Liliaceae (or Alliaceae)
- With hundreds of tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, lilies, alliums and other bulbs to consider for planting this fall, catalogues give both the visual sizzle and nitty-gritty information needed to make smart choices.
- Allium moly is an ornamental allium, or flowering onion.
- Consuming onions and other alliums like leeks and garlic also appears to lower rates of breast, esophageal, and stomach cancers.
early 19th century: Latin, literally 'garlic'.
Definition of allium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan