Definition of allium in English:
noun (plural alliums)
A bulbous plant of a genus that includes the onion and its relatives (e.g., garlic, leek, and chives).
- Genus Allium, family Liliaceae (or Alliaceae)
- With hundreds of tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, lilies, alliums and other bulbs to consider for planting this fall, catalogues give both the visual sizzle and nitty-gritty information needed to make smart choices.
- Allium moly is an ornamental allium, or flowering onion.
- Consuming onions and other alliums like leeks and garlic also appears to lower rates of breast, esophageal, and stomach cancers.
Early 19th century: Latin, literally 'garlic'.
Words that rhyme with alliumgallium, pallium, thallium, valium
Definition of allium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.