noun (plural alliums)
A bulbous plant of a genus that includes the onion and its relatives (e.g., garlic, leek, and chives).
- Genus Allium, family Liliaceae (or Alliaceae)
More example sentences
- With hundreds of tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, lilies, alliums and other bulbs to consider for planting this fall, catalogues give both the visual sizzle and nitty-gritty information needed to make smart choices.
- Allium moly is an ornamental allium, or flowering onion.
- Consuming onions and other alliums like leeks and garlic also appears to lower rates of breast, esophageal, and stomach cancers.
early 19th century: Latin, literally 'garlic'.
Definition of allium in:
- The British & World English dictionary