Definition of allograph in English:
1Each of two or more alternative forms of a letter of an alphabet or other grapheme. The capital, lowercase, italic, and various handwritten forms of the letter A are allographs.
- Sign names and values with modifiers and/or allographs following them should not be be treated as compounds.
- Yet there is another level of meaning that changes with each allograph, an esthetic meaning that we cannot avoid.
- This paper presents an original method for creating allograph models and recognizing them within cursive handwriting.
1.1 Phonetics Each of two or more letters or letter combinations representing a single phoneme in different words. Allographs of the phoneme /f/ include the (f) of “fake” and the (ph) of “phase.”.
- In addition, because a letter may appear in allographs which encode respectively different phonemes, the user is taught alternative sounds that the selected letter may represent.
Definition of allograph in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan