Definition of allomorph in English:
Any of the versions of a morpheme, such as the plural endings /s/ (as in bats) /, z/ (as in bugs), and /iz/ (as in buses) for the plural morpheme.
- It requires the distribution of allomorphs according to orthographic criteria.
- In the analysis, /miso/ can be decomposed into /mi/ ‘three’ and /so/, an allomorph of /to:/ ‘ten’.
- Example sentences
- You'd need more examples of the two deletion rules, more examples of the ‘k’ being its own suffix and not allomorphic with ‘nak’, and you'd need to have good reason to associate [pa] as being the base of [panak].
- In this paper, I propose an account of the allomorphic alternation of the lexical passive construction in terms of Information Theory.
Definition of allomorph in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan