- Any of the speech sounds that represent a single phoneme, such as the aspirated k in kit and the unaspirated k in skit, which are allophones of the phoneme k.More example sentences
- A phone is a realization in sound of a phoneme, and an allophone is one such realization among others: for example, English /n/ is normally alveolar, but is dental before the dental fricative in ‘tenth’.
- The allophone occurs in onset position of stressed syllables whereas the unaspirated allophone [p] occurs after syllable-initial [s].
- More example sentences
- Children were not penalized for allophonic / dialect variation in vowel production, nor for systematic articulation errors.
- Most speakers are largely unaware of the extent of allophonic variation in their language.
- When listening for allophonic variation, it is necessary to try and distance yourself from a language.
- (Especially in Quebec) an immigrant whose first language is neither French nor English.More example sentences
- In a worried report, a Université de Montréal demographer suggests that so many francophones are moving there that by 2021 allophones and anglophones will combine to form the majority of Montreal's population.
- In Quebec, the linguistic majority abuses the groups they call anglophones and allophones.
- Anglophone, francophone and allophone, we are Canadians, first of all.