Any of the speech sounds that represent a single phoneme, such as the aspirated k in kit and the unaspirated k in skit, which are allophones of the phoneme k.
- A phone is a realization in sound of a phoneme, and an allophone is one such realization among others: for example, English /n/ is normally alveolar, but is dental before the dental fricative in ‘tenth’.
- The allophone occurs in onset position of stressed syllables whereas the unaspirated allophone [p] occurs after syllable-initial [s].
- Example sentences
- Children were not penalized for allophonic / dialect variation in vowel production, nor for systematic articulation errors.
- Most speakers are largely unaware of the extent of allophonic variation in their language.
- When listening for allophonic variation, it is necessary to try and distance yourself from a language.
Words that rhyme with allophoneAnglophone • xylophone
(Especially in Quebec) an immigrant whose first language is neither French nor English.
- In a worried report, a Université de Montréal demographer suggests that so many francophones are moving there that by 2021 allophones and anglophones will combine to form the majority of Montreal's population.
- In Quebec, the linguistic majority abuses the groups they call anglophones and allophones.
- Anglophone, francophone and allophone, we are Canadians, first of all.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan