Definition of allosaur in English:
A large bipedal carnivorous dinosaur of the late Jurassic period.
- Genus Allosaurus, suborder Theropoda, order Saurischia
- We need a hominid skeleton and an allosaurus skull.
- And then she saw two allosauruses appear and the fight was a lot less even.
- I do not mean the nimble, fleet-footed ones like the allosaurus; I mean the slow sloth-type ones that we are encountering at the moment.
- 1allosaurian adjective
- Example sentences
- The switch from Stegosaurs to Nodosaurs might have been linked to the switch from allosaurian grab-hunters to tyrannosaur impact-hunters.
- With the dinosaurs in his lost world, the main predators were descendants of allosaurian predators, but they were becoming wiped out by a new predator evolved from birdlike dinosaurs called avimimids.
Modern Latin, from Greek allos 'other' + sauros 'lizard'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.